Sunday, September 28, 2008

Makis and Greek Roadside Shrines


I wish I'd met Makis Rafailidis at the beginning of my trip to Greece. This Athenian taxi-driver was super-friendly, and I quickly trusted him to take me on two day-trips (at the end of my holiday) - one to Delphi and the other to Mycenae/Naphlion/Epidaurus/Corinth. His rates were reasonable and he seemed to have a special affection for Indians, as he had close friends from India. He had a loud and raspy voice, and used a range of hand gestures to complement his intelligent comments. I liked his frankness, and he didn't pretend to know more than he did. If you are ever in Athens, give him a call - 697 7085927.

On my second day-trip, he explained that religious shrines, such as the one in the photograph, were built alongside roadsides, at the site of fatal car accidents. I was intrigued by the connection to the Kerala roadside shrines I wrote about in January. However, the ones in Kerala are probably the result of the cultural exchange between Hinduism and Christianity, and have nothing to do with accidents.

No comments: