Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Catching the Big Fish by David Lynch


I picked up this book because David Lynch made Mulholland Drive, which is one of my favourite movies. I had high expectations of the book, but it was a disappointment. It seems to be a transcription of talks, and is a compilation of a series of thoughts on various topics. However, its primary focus is to entice the reader into the world of “transcendental meditation,” a technique taught by his late guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Meditation is what gives Lynch the strength, creativity and peace of mind to make great movies. The subtitle is therefore, “Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity.” Predictably, the book does have 60s feel to it. Catching The Big Fish is forced and though there are a few gems of advice, I felt the book was superficial. Since it’s rather brief, I’m glad one can flip through it quickly.

No comments: