Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ooh I don't want to say it! Oh, well, here goes...Bangaluru

I was in mourning when Bombay's name was changed to Mumbai. When Madras was changed to Chennai, I was a bit concerned, but I dealt with it. But Bangalore to Bangluru makes my hair stand on end.

During my short visit I stayed at a nice $100 per night hotel called Ramanashri, in the heart of the city. About 20 years ago the room rate was about $10 per night, I learned. Everything was good, including the flat screen-TV, but the only thing that let me down was the shower. The hot water wasn't hot enough and the water power was weak.

I had a good view and it seemed to represent what was happening to Bangalore on a massive scale - construction and crazy traffic. Skyscrapers are mushrooming all over the city. People walking on the streets are far better dressed than they were a few years ago. I remember a stark difference between dressing styles in Mumbai and the rest of the metros. No longer. I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant called The Legacy Of Punjab. The designers had some nice ideas such as the suspended kite strings.

I flew Kingfisher into Bangalore and Jet Airways back. The service and quality of aircraft was great both ways. Kingfisher had staff to help you with your luggage as you arrived at the airport, which is a great plus. They also have live TV on board. Jet has Video on Demand which has its advantages too. The Jet plane was brand new and it was great to sit on spick-and-span seats.

No comments: